Open Source Architecture for Africa
Osafa.org has just launched and will be a Wikipedia-like platform where the "source code" of construction projects, i.e.
- floor plans,
- building descriptions,
- drafts/photos and
- commercials calculations
are being shared under an open licence, ready to be reused or adapted, without licence fees.
We want to apply the success factors of Open Source Software to the intellectual wisdom of African architecture. Osafa is to be used by all stakeholders of construction projects in Africa, professionals and hobbyists, Africans and non-Africans, world changers and business people alike.
- For rationale and background see: About Osafa
- Full concept, as submitted to and presented at ISTafrica 2006
- List of potential projects
- List of other online projects with similar goals.
- What you can do
- 9 January 2007: Helge is about to leave for a tour through Togo, Ghana and Burkina Faso, visiting architecture schools and NGOs
- 28 October 2006: Osafa now available in English, French, Swahili and Portuguese
- 17 October 2006: Already 25 potential projects (covering hundreds of buildings) identified, working on first full documentation
- 25 August 2006: Wikis installed, working on contents
- 5 May, 2006: Presented at ISTafrica 2006
- December 2005: Concept written
- November 2005: Idea for Osafa born & domains registered
Questions? Want to suggest a construction project? Want to help? Get in touch with Helge